5 Job Opportunities at | Nafasi za Kazi NIMR
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is the largest public health research institution in Tanzania. It was established by the Parliament Act No. 23 of 1979 as a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Health.
The establishment of NIMR was in recognition by the government of the need to generate scientific information required in the development of better methods and techniques of enhancing disease management, prevention and control in the country.
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly, and Children (MoHCDGEC).
NIMR was established by the Parliament Act No. 23 of 1979 and became operational in 1980;
Holding the following mandates:
1. To carry out and promote the carrying out of health research designed to alleviate disease among the people of Tanzania;
2. To carry out, and promote the carrying out of, medical research into various aspects of local traditional medical practices for the purpose of facilitating the development and application of herbal medicine;
3. In co-operation with the Government or any other person or body of persons, to promote, or provide facilities for, the training of local personnel for carrying out scientific research into medical problems;
4. To monitor, control and coordinate medical research carried out within Tanzania, or elsewhere, on behalf of or for the benefit of the Government of Tanzania, and to evaluate the findings of that research;
5. To establish a system of the registration of, and to register, the findings of medical research carried out within Tanzania, and promote the practical application of those findings for the purposes of improving or advancing the health and general welfare of the people of Tanzania;
6. To establish and operate systems of documentation and dissemination of information on any aspect of the medical research carried out by or on behalf of the institute;
7. Carry out, and promote the carrying out of, research and investigation into the causes and the ways of controlling and preventing the occurrence in Tanzania of particular diseases or a category of them;
8. In co-operation with the Government or any person or body of persons, carry out and promote the carrying out of, basic, applied, and operational research designated to provide effective measures for the control of diseases endemic in Tanzania.
JOB POSITION: ARTISAN (PLUMBER) (1 POST)
The candidate will be responsible for the institute’s plumbing works and repairs systems in the main NIMR buildings, research units; Health Center, Garage and NIMR staff Quarters.
The Artisan (Plumbing) will report and work under the Head of the Human Resources and Administration Department.
JOB POSITION: PROJECT ACCOUNTANT (1 POST)
The project accountant will be responsible for overall management of project funds.
The Project Accountant will report and work under the Head of Accountant Department.
JOB POSITION: ARTISAN (ELECTRICAL) (1 POST)
The candidate will be responsible for maintaining and repair of all electrical equipment and installations to provide efficient electrical supply and service to the NIMR office building and the estate.
The Artisan (Electrical) will report and work under the Head of Human Resource and Administration Department.
JOB POSITION: LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (1 POST)
Candidate shall be responsible for carrying out laboratory procedures according to the laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), study protocols, national and international standards.
The Laboratory Technician will report and work under the Head of laboratory Sciences Unit.
JOB POSITION: SENIOR SOCIAL SCIENTIST (1 POST)
The senior social scientist will be responsible for overall coordinating and supervision of all social science aspects of the project. He/she will also be responsible for community engagement, community sensitization and liaising with project stakeholders.
The Senior Social Scientist will report and work under the Head of Schist and Fisheries Unit.