HESLB Muongozo Wa Kuomba Mkopo 2022/2023
The Higher Education Students’ Loans Board (HESLB) was established by HESLB Act (CAP 178) and became effective in July 2005.
HESLB is mandated to, among others, issue loans and or grants to needy and eligible students
1. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL LOAN APPLICANTS
All loan applicants for Academic Year 2022/2023 are required to observe the following:-
1. Read and follow application procedures stated in these guidelines;
2. Ensure that the Form Four Index Number provided when applying for loan matches with the one used in your application for admission to University or College;
3. Applicants who sat for Form Four Examination more than once are required to list all Form Four Index Numbers used while applying for loan;
4. Ensure that all documents submitted to support your application have been certified by relevant authorities as specified in these guidelines;
5. Ensure that all birth/death certificates are certified by the Registration, Insolvency and Trusteeship Agency (RITA), or Zanzibar Civil Status Registration Agency (ZCSRA) “Wakala wa Usajili wa Matukio ya Kijamii Zanzibar “or designated officer(s) to ascertain their validity;
6. Ensure all students who were born abroad and or their Parents died abroad obtain a letter from RITA to validate the information provided;
7. Ensure that your loan application form is dully filled and signed before submission;
8. Ensure that his/her Bank account details are properly filled in the application form;
9. Applications must be completed with correct (and accurate) details;
10. Each applicant is advised to keep a copy of a complete package of the application form submitted to HESLB for future reference (if required) and
11. All applicants must strictly observe the set application
OTHER RELATED LINKS
HESLB Act and regulations provide for General Eligibility and Criteria for applicants seeking loans. NEEDY and ELIGIBLE applicants must apply for loans and/or grants to meet part or full costs of their education.
i. Needy Applicant
In addition to general eligibility, additional criteria define NEEDY applicant who is not above 35 years of age at the time of application also must be:-
1. Orphan who has lost both parents or partial orphan who has lost one parent. An applicant has to produce a death certificate approved by RITA or ZCSRA;
2. Student with disability shall have to complete and present a fully Self-Disability Form (SDF-1) to be approved by District Medical Officer (DMO), Regional Medical Officer (RMO) or any designated medical expert with recognized
3. Parents with disability shall have to present a Parent Disability Form (PDF-2) to be approved by the District Medical Officer (DMO), Regional Medical Officer (RMO) or any designated medical expert with recognized affiliations.
4. From lower income household and/or marginalized community whose secondary school or diploma education was partially or fully sponsored or supported by recognized institutions, and/or a community group(s), who can present evidence of such
5. All applicants under this sponsorship category will have to ask their respective sponsors to fill a Standard Corporate Sponsorship Form (SCSF-3) which shall be downloaded from HESLB website and upload it along with other attachments in the application forms. All SCSF-3 will have to be validated by a dully approved signatory and owner of the respective organization.
6. From lower income household and/or marginalized community, which is under Special Economic Support Programs such as Tanzania Social Action Fund (TASAF), they should provide the program beneficiary’s number and attach TASAF
ii. General Eligibility Criteria as Pronounced by the Act
General Eligibility criteria require an applicant to meet the following conditions: –
1. Must be Tanzanian;
2. Must have applied for a loan through the Online Loan Application and Management System (OLAMS);
3. Must have been admitted to an accredited Higher Education Institution on full time basis;
4. For Students Admitted at the Open University of Tanzania (OUT), eligible students will be considered for tuition fee and books and stationery expenses;
5. Must not have other sources of funding to finance his/her education;
6. For undergraduate applicants, must not have a formal or regular income from employment, either public or private
7. Must be a continuing student with results/progress reports to show that he/she has passed the examinations necessary to enable him/her to advance to the following year or stage of study;
8. For a student’s loan beneficiary seeking to re-apply for loan after dropping out from one programme/college/university) he/she must repay at least 25% of the previous loan amount before applying for a new loan. Payment of 25% of the previously granted loan is not a guarantee for new loan allocation.
iii. Additional Eligibility Criteria
1. Loans shall be allocated in the order of established Neediness, academic excellence and programme clustering (priority).
2. Continuing Students applying for loans for the first time must have completed ACSEE or other equivalent qualifications within Five (5) years, e. from 2018-2022 inclusive.
3. All other applicants who will secure admission to pursue various degree programmes in the academic year 2022/2023 must have completed their ACSEE or other equivalent qualifications within five (5) years, e. from 2018-2022 inclusive.
iv. Means Testing System
Means Testing (MT) will be used to determine applicants’ neediness for loan allocation. School Fees paid in CSEE, ACSEE and/or equivalent qualifications including diplomas is one of the factors considered to establish an individual’s ability to contribute to the costs of higher education.
Other factors that are taken into consideration are orphaned, applicant’s or parent’s disability, previous education sponsorship and household economic status.
Therefore, neediness shall be measured as a difference between total annual costs to pursue individual programme at respective Higher Education Institution (HEI)
and established applicant’s past ability to pay for secondary school or diploma education as an indication of the applicants’ ability to contribute to the costs of higher education.
3. OTHER CONDITIONS
Liability of guarantors and parents
Parents/Guarantors are responsible for confirmation of correctness and accuracy of information submitted in the application before signing.
Guarantors are expected to ensure that loans are repaid and must be aware of the beneficiaries’ whereabouts until the loan is fully repaid. In case of default, guarantors shall be responsible to settle the due unpaid loan in full.
An applicant is required to append Guarantor’s passport size photo and a certified copy of one of the following Identifications issued by Government authorities of the United Republic of Tanzania and Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar:-
1. National Identification card;
2. Voter’s registration card;
3. Driving License;
4. Tanzanian Passport; or
5. Zanzibar Resident
4. APPLICATION DEADLINE
The Loan Application window for 2022/2023 opens on 15th July, 2022 through 30th September, 2022. However, these guidelines will be available in www.heslb.go.tz from July 15th, 2022 to enable applicants familiarize with key issues before applying for loans.
Beginning academic year 2022/2023, all SECOND YEAR STUDENTS are STRONGLY ADVISED to submit their National Identification Number (NIN), the Registration number and the Bank Account details before any disbursement is made to them.