University of the Free State UFS Online Application
The University of the Free State (UFS) has a proud history as one of the oldest, most respected institutions of higher education in South Africa. It opened its doors in Bloemfontein in<span “=”” 16px;”=””> 1904 as the Grey University College, with six students in the Humanities.
Today it is a multi-campus institution, with two diverse campuses in Bloemfontein and one in Qwaqwa in the scenic Eastern Free State, accommodating more than 40 000 students in its seven faculties, with an increasing number of international students and associates, and an ever-widening scope of active involvement in and contribution to its surrounding communities.
The UFS is a research-led, student-centred and regionally-engaged university that contributes to development and social justice through the production of globally competitive graduates and knowledge.
The university will pursue this vision through its goals:
- Improve student success and well-being
- Renew and transform the curriculum
- Increase UFS contribution to local, regional and global knowledge
- Support development and social justice through engaged scholarship
- Increase the efficiency and effectiveness of governance and support systems
- Achieve financial sustainability
- Advance an institutional culture that demonstrates the values of the UFS
Why choose us?
Our 3 campuses each has a unique character and beautiful setting.
We boast outstanding alumni, including Mme Justice Mahube Molemela, Crystal-Donna Roberts, and Heinrich Brüssow.
We are proud of our international stars, Wayde van Niekerk, Rolene Strauss, Louzanne Coetzee, and Rynhardt van Rensburg.
You can participate in more than 22 different sport disciplines.
Study from almost 700 000 library books, including our ever growing ebooks collection.
Join thousands of other students enrolled in 7 faculties.
How to Apply
Before you start your application process
- make sure you have an active email address
- a reliable cell phone number
- scanned copies (not photographs) of your identity document/passport and grade 11 final results. latest academic transcript and certificate of conduct if you are transferring from another tertiary institution
- Go to https://apply.ufs.ac.za/
- Click on ‘New Application’
- Follow the prompts and fill in the details
- Submit relevant documents
- Submit completed application
Before you apply to University of the Free State UFS you should have the following;
Upload copies of the following in PDF or JPEG format when you apply for undergraduate
- Your ID if you are a South African citizen
- Your passport if you are an international student
- Parent’s ID or passport if you are younger than 18
- Your final Grade 11 results with the school’s stamp
- Grade 12 June results with the school’s stamp as soon as it becomes available.
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) if you have already matriculated
- Your academic record, only if you are/were a student at another institution of higher
learning USAf accreditation from the examination board for South African universities. Apply to
mb.usaf.ac.za for conditional exemption, foreign conditional exemption, or mature age
The following steps will guide you to successfully go through your application process:
1. First, visit the official website of the institution via https://apply.ufs.ac.za to fill your form or acquire your application form at the school’s Campus. Students should apply within the application cycle. This prevents rejected applications.
2. Your application is submitted. You will receive a student number and acknowledgement of your application.
3. If you have not submitted the required documents, you will be requested to do so in order to finalise your application.
4. Your application is evaluated by the university. Should your evaluation be positive, you will receive a conditional offer to study – SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF SPACE. Selection programmes are excluded. If you have indicated in your application that you require on-campus residence, you will also receive correspondence from Housing and Residence Affairs. Note that qualifying for your programme of choice, does not guarantee admission.
2023 UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN
1. Please click HERE to consult the 2023 Undergraduate Prospectus to ensure you meet the minimum entrance requirements before applying.
2. Each prospective student must complete the online application.
3. Once your online application has been submitted and processed, you will receive a student number (Reference number).
4. Receiving a student number (Reference number) does NOT imply that you have been accepted by the University of the Free State yet.
5. In the case of applicants re-writing Grade 12 subjects, applications will be processed on the current results available. If Grade 12 has been written more than once then your combined results must be submitted with your application.
6. Applicants writing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) through IEB or SACAI examining bodies can apply online by selecting “National Senior Certificate” under the Results Detail page of the online application process.
7. Applicants currently in Grade 12 are requested to provide school stamped copies of final Grade 11.
8. Applicants transferring from another university/tertiary institution are required to declare their previous studies when applying as well as upload an official full academic record/transcript and degree/diploma certificate (where applicable).
9. The University of the Free State does not accept the General Education Development (GED) test for entry into any of its curricular undergraduate qualifications. The GED is no longer recognised by Universities South Africa (USAf), and is not equivalent to a South African grade 12 (NSC/IEB/SACAI). Applicants who completed the GED and would like to study towards an undergraduate curricular qualification are advised to register and complete a grade 12 NSC/IEB/SACAI or international equivalent thereof.
10. Applicants who did not complete SC/NSC/IEB must have USAF accreditation from the examination board for South African Universities. Click HERE to apply online for conditional exemption, foreign conditional exemption or mature age conditional exemption or send an email to [email protected].
11. To apply for the University Access Programmes (UAP), please click HERE to ensure you meet the minimum admission requirements before applying.
1. It is important to note that ALL Postgraduate programmes are selection programmes. Click HERE to consult the 2023 Postgraduate Prospectus.
2. In some instances Honours, Masters and Doctoral students are expected to apply directly to the department or to pre-register. Please refer to the specific Faculty and departmental information to determine whether you need apply directly or to pre-register. Visit the Faculty and specific department web page for more information.
3. Each prospective student must complete the online application.
4. Once your online application has been submitted and processed, you will receive a student number (Reference number).
5. Receiving a student number (Reference number) does NOT imply that you have been accepted by the University of the Free State yet.
6. Admission is a separate process when your application will be evaluated by the relevant faculty.
7. Before you submit your online application and upload/email documents, please visit the relevant faculty/department website to confirm additional documentation that may be required e.g. departmental application form, CV, motivation, reports, dissertation/thesis proposal etc. Visit the Faculty and specific department web page for more information.
8. Applicants transferring from another university/tertiary institution are required to upload an official full academic record/transcript, degree/diploma certificate and SAQA certificate if you hold a foreign/ international qualification .
9. Advanced Diploma qualifications are classified as undergraduate. It is however processed (administratively) as a postgraduate qualification due to previous studies involved.
Application Helpdesk Enquiries: +27 51 4019111 or email [email protected]